I'd need to see code to give actual suggestions, but i can tell you that the
current API has worked great for all of my applications (bookmarkable urls
and such).

I'm also very open to suggestions if there are ways to improve it.

The wicket Resource API is a bit confusing and probably could use some more
explaining.  specifically regarding
how they work with resource references...