Thanks!

I used this but I don't think it is any faster....

class ItemProvider implements IDataProvider{

                public Iterator iterator(int first, int count) {
                  return getItemDao().getItems(getFilters(), first, count
).iterator();
                }

                public int size() {
                        return getItemDao().getItemCount( getFilters());
                }

                public IModel model(Object object) {
                  return new Model((Item) object);
                }