Thanks all for the feedback. Given that there is no heavy initialisation going on in any of our pages I would tend to agree that page construction, should be fairly cheap, and would certainly be cheaper than any constant contended synchronisation. I however keep an eye on it and let you know of any metrics that we produce.

Thx,
Joel

From: "Eelco Hillenius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:58 PM
To: <users@wicket.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Page pooling (for stateless pages)

I was wondering whether it was possible to implement "pooling" of stateless pages? Possibly using a custom PageMap implementation?

I think you can just implement the pooling mechanism yourself, and
provide a custom version of IPageFactory (which is to be set in
session settings).

Although newer JVM's are good at performing GC, pooling is a reasonable additional technique to use for achieving that extra bit of scalability.

Like other team members, I doubt this :-) Like any advantages you
might have will be lost by the need to synchronize. And if your page
is really heavy to construct, that is probably a sign that you should
move your 'heavy code' (probably database access?) to the rendering
phase (like using lazy initialized models and algorithms for
components such as overriding isVisible rather than setting it).

But nothing beats real numbers, and it may be worth it for your case.
Let us know if it made a difference for you.

Eelco