If you want a "jumping off point", you can start with my example
project I used for a talk I gave on Wicket last night:

http://svn.carmanconsulting.com/public/wicket-advanced/trunk

It sets up Spring, Hibernate, wicket-authroles (using Spring
Security), etc.  It uses profiles in the pom.xml file to control your
settings (including deployment mode vs. development mode) for
development (the default "properties" section), test, and production.
I usually copy/paste a lot of what I have in there to start a new
project.  Hope it helps.