On 16 jul 2008, at 04:49, Ryan Sonnek wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Nino Saturnino Martinez Vazquez Wael <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We are having the potential fun of running a site with around 1 million users, and a lot more over time. What could be great optimizing points?

We have looked at these things

 * Detachable models (not sure if it makes anything run faster, just
   that it keeps the memory footprint down making more users possible
   on each server)
 * Web Cache(Oscache, Ehcache or Apache http)
 * Internal cache(Eh distributed cache)
 * Clustering(simple web server clustering with apache
   http/loadbalancer/tomcat)
       o Would Jetty be better?

Are there something we have forgotten? Have other point to pick out? Should we investigate terracotta also(seems they integration are working now)?

Cache, Cache, Cache. if you're running any high volume/traffic sites, you absolutely need to leverage caching to get any amount of scalability. This
goes for ANY web framework and not just wicket.

readup on some of the published whitepapers for high traffic sites (flickr
is a great case study) to see how they do it.

Try to have the server-side as stateless as possible. If the state is at the client, any server can handle the requests without exchanging state. See http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/stateless-pages.html for a short intro. It will change the way you write your project, but keeping state server-side can be disastrous for real performance.

Regards,

Daan