you may also consider using a portal framework and portlets, for example apache jetspeed portal (and possibly others) has parallel portlet rendering option..

Igor Vaynberg wrote:
if you want the page to render all at once you have to spin off as
many threads as there are components and block rendering until all
threads are done. you can do this in page#onbeforerender() which is
called before any components start to render.

the problem with this is that if it takes a while someone can easily
dos your app because you are blocking servlet thread pool.

a better way to do this would be to drop each component into an iframe
and make it poll for data which is retrieved using some global
threadpool.

-igor