That's weird since I don't get anything (examples are from 1.4-m3). For me it
seems like Chrome is handling the AJAX responses differently as it's always
reporting 0 characters in the response.
Here's the full debug output of the modal window from Chrome when clicking
on "Show modal dialog with a page":

INFO: Using XMLHttpRequest transport
INFO:
INFO: Initiating Ajax GET request on
?wicket:interface=:1:showModal1::IBehaviorListener:0:&random=0.8373860055580735
INFO: Invoking pre-call handler(s)...
INFO: Received ajax response (0 characters)
INFO:
ERROR: Error while parsing response: Could not find root <ajax-response>
element
INFO: Invoking post-call handler(s)...
INFO: Invoking failure handler(s)...

HTH