Hi,

I was profiling my application running on tomcat and I've found out that a
lot of CPU time is spent in ProxyDirContext.lookup(String). After
investigating the tomcat source code I've found that that method is invoked
when tomcat is trying to figure out what it should invoke basing on the
received URL.

Our application has the WicketFilter mapped to /* and no servlet defined, so
my guess is that tomcat finds immediately the filter but then it tries to
look for a servlet matching the required page's URL.

Based on the wiki in wicket 1.3 the recommended way of mapping it is by
using the filter instead of the servlet, but what's the drawback of using
the servlet (if being careful with mappings so that static contents are
served by tomcat)?

Thanks in advance,
-Roberto