What attracts me to Wicket is how it tries to do as much in type-safe Java code as possible, so I was a bit surprised with the finding that the org.apache.wicket.authorization stuff is not based upon Enum and EnumSet but rather type-unsafe string tokens.

Are there good reasons for this design that outweighs the benefits of having code completion and static verification? (Extendability, decoupling, transitive relationships, runs on Java 1.4 etc.)

Also, before I delve deeper into it, would it be a trivial matter to write a type safe version?

Thanks in advance,
Casper