I've found a way to implement a type-safe check for this. Here it goes:

import java.lang.annotation.Documented;
import java.lang.annotation.ElementType;
import java.lang.annotation.Inherited;
import java.lang.annotation.Retention;
import java.lang.annotation.RetentionPolicy;
import java.lang.annotation.Target;

@AuthorizeInstantiation(value = { User.class, Admin.class })
public class EnumAnnotation {

}

@Retention(RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME)
@Target( { ElementType.PACKAGE, ElementType.TYPE })
@Documented
@Inherited
@interface AuthorizeInstantiation {

   Class<? extends Role>[] value() default {};

}

class Role {
}

class User extends Role {
}

class Admin extends Role {
}

So, the only thing that must change is the annotation @AuthorizeInstantiation, to accept classes that extends roles.

Thoughts anyone?

cheers,
Bruno

Bruno Borges wrote:
You simply can't do that because the nature of Annotations.

Even if AuthorizeInstantiation's values were of type Object[] you wouldn't be able to do that with Enums.

You will have to use Strings.

Although there's some hack you can make using Java 6 to accomplish what you want. If you are interested, take a look at this link:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~akuhn/blog/2008/roman-numerals-in-your-java/

Good luck!!

Cheers,
Bruno

miro wrote:
I am using this @AuthorizeInstantiation (wicket authetication annotation)
in my pages , the code for this annotation

@Retention(RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME)
@Target( { ElementType.PACKAGE, ElementType.TYPE })
@Documented
@Inherited
public @interface AuthorizeInstantiation {

    /**
     * Gets the roles that are allowed to take the action.
* * @return the roles that are allowed. Returns a zero length array by
default
     */
    String[] value() default {};
}

I created my enum with representing authorities

public enum  Authorities {
LIASION_OFFICER,
    GRANTS_OFFICER,
    PROGRAM_ANALYST,
    ADMIN;

}

I am trying to use  AuthorizeInstantiation   in my page  here an example
@AuthorizeInstantiation(value={Authorities.LIASION_OFFICER.name()})
public class HomePage extends BasePage {

this line does not compile, I get the error
The value of annotation attribute AuthorizeInstantiation .value must be a
constant expression  .please help me resolve this .