I created a reusable component, PanelWithAjaxBusyIndicatingMask, which
extends Panel.

The functions it has:

It will add a transparent mask layer to the current page to prevent further
UI interactivity when there are any busy Ajax activities.

The mask layer will have an animation gif and a configurable display text
(the default is: Please wait…).

Both the display text and the animation gif file are configurable in the
constructors.

I am proposing it to the Wicket developers. Hope they will incorporate it
into the next release.