I understand why you do it, and don't even think its such a bad thing (it's a very agile like approach), however I prefer them separate as a means to keep any individual package clean and orderly as the two parts really do serve different purposes and except initially, are maintained at different times in different ways.

By all means, keep them in the same physical location but Maven users will look for resources in the resources directory and maybe curse you just a little bit when they don't find them there :) Not a big deal...

On the subject of the archetype though, it *should* be doing the maven standard thing by default... maybe offering you a choice but the default should be into the resources directory.

IMO of course.

- Brill