I am trying to figure out the architecture of a prototype application. In it, the presentation layer (Wicket) needs to work with a service layer to display and edit lists (among other things). The service layer also exposes some Web Services via SOAP/REST which I intend to use for a Flash/Flex component that will be on the pages served by Wicket and will display the lists in a graphical and interactive way.

What options do I have to connect the presentation and middle layer?

- RMI between Wicket and the service layer: This would allow them to run separately (e.g., we can work on the presentation without taking down the service layer who is running background processes).

- Service layer and Wicket in the same webapp.

- Service layer and Wicket in separate webapps but with Tomcat's crossContext set to true.

- Anything else?

Can anybody share some recommendations or experiences?

I am worried that RMI will not only be a performance bottleneck (is it?) but also that it will be hard to work with models. Looking at wicket-phonebook,

https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/phonebook/src/main/java/wicket/contrib/phonebook/web/DetachableContactModel.java

I see that the presentation layer has access to the DAO and stores id's in its models. With an RMI separation, the DAO is in the middle layer and not accessible from the presentation layer. Also, transactional boundaries are in the service layer, so I will not be able to do something "more complex" in the presentation layer (which I shouldn't do anyway, I guess).

Many thanks for feedback,
Kaspar