On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 05:32:51PM -0400, Ben Tilford wrote:
> The purpose of the *public* static final long serialVersionUID is for long
> term storage or situations where you may potentially have made modifications
> to the class that make it incompatible with previous versions (distributed
> apps/clustering).

It only prevents trivial changes (e.g. adding a public method) from
breaking your serialization compatibility. You can still break the
compatibility even with a serialVersionUID, e.g. by renaming a field.
Besides, Wicket page maps are neither long-term storage nor remotely
communicated, so I don't really see the point of putting in the effort.

> I'd say that its easier to just add it in case you ever
> need it, its only 1 line of code.

Given Wicket's reliance on component inheritance, adding
serialVersionUID in every place Eclipse complains about it would amount
to hundreds of lines of code on my projects. Java code has enough noise
already.

jk