serialVersionUID is very important, especially if you deal with
serialized data saved to disk, db, javaspace or somewhere else. For
example, if you use JavaSpaces, you put objects there and you can
disconnect, update your application version, run it again, and your
objects will be there. If you don't take care of the serial version
uid you could have some serialization problems even if you didn't
change anything, just because the runtime generated uid is different
from the previous one. So, in doubt I suggest you to inform it, you
can put 1L and increase for each modification or use a IDE generated
version of it.