I've got a few questions that are somewhat general to web development,
but since we've chosen Wicket as one of our front-end frameworks, I
thought I would ask here first for pointers...especially where there
may be a "wicket way" of doing things that we need to be aware of.

The system we're developing will have 2 UIs - a browser-based UI
developed in Wicket and an Eclipse-based rich-client app (Java).  The
available functionality will be a little different in each but with a
good bit of overlap.  There must be common authentication - a user
might use either UI or both at any given time.  We'll likely be using
JAX-WS for communicating between the rich client and server. The server
will be Tomcat.

We obviously need to keep very good separation between the business logic
and presentation layers, since there will be 2 presentation layers :>

1) We need to have an "application" object/singleton to hold things
like "online/offline" mode - so we can, for example, bring the application
down for maintenance and give the user an intelligent response.  In
Wicket, I think that would be the Application object?  I assume we'll
need to make that reference a MyApplication object - how do I expose
that to both Wicket and the WS APIs?  JNDI?

2) We'll want our database connection pools to also be shared...one
of the databases is an odd-ball - Filemaker (groan) - and I'm not sure
how to pool connections for it and share the pool between the Wicket
app and the WS APIs?  When I've used connection pools in the past,
it has always been something common, like MySQL, so the Tomcat configuration
was pretty well-documented.  I'm not sure where to start with this one?

3) Any other architecture issues I should be thinking about?  Pointers?
Good articles that might address some of these issues?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

ch...@webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services