On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Martijn
Dashorst<martijn.dasho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I beg to differ: the way it is currently setup is the way we have done
> it since inception of wicket.

No, I beg to differ.  You haven't been doing it that way.  Take a look at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/tags/wicket-1.3.6/pom.xml

That is a release tag and it doesn't have a SNAPSHOT version.

> tag -> the moment where we cut the release
> release -> the branch where the commits go to actually build the release

Tags are supposed to be immutable.  What would be the purpose of
creating a SNAPSHOT tag, unless you're taking a snapshot of the source
before some major refactoring or something?  The wicket-{release
version} tags should be reserved for release tags (and thus the
pom.xml wouldn't have SNAPSHOT versions in them).  The release tags
should be able to be used to re-create the release.  You have to have
a tag for that or else your "release" branch (which you said gets
committed to) would be altered and it would differ from the actual
release (and thus you wouldn't be able to re-create the original
release with it easily).

Why would you go against the way that everyone else uses SVN?