This has been the process since I've been release manager. Create tag
when we cut the release, create release branch where we build the
release from the tag, release it. If there's a issue, repeat. This way
release artifacts don't pollute the main development stream, which is
rather normal SVN usage. This way you don't have release specific
commits pollute the diffs between releases. Only actual commits that
are part of our normal development cycle are between release *tags*.
Everything else that is specific for a release is in the release
branch. And each release gets its own release branch.

I'm not sure why you are barking up the tree though.

Martijn

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM, James
Carman<jcar...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Martijn
> Dashorst<martijn.dasho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I beg to differ: the way it is currently setup is the way we have done
>> it since inception of wicket.
>
> No, I beg to differ.  You haven't been doing it that way.  Take a look at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/tags/wicket-1.3.6/pom.xml
>
> That is a release tag and it doesn't have a SNAPSHOT version.
>

>> tag -> the moment where we cut the release
>> release -> the branch where the commits go to actually build the release
>
> Tags are supposed to be immutable.  What would be the purpose of
> creating a SNAPSHOT tag, unless you're taking a snapshot of the source
> before some major refactoring or something?  The wicket-{release
> version} tags should be reserved for release tags (and thus the
> pom.xml wouldn't have SNAPSHOT versions in them).  The release tags
> should be able to be used to re-create the release.  You have to have
> a tag for that or else your "release" branch (which you said gets
> committed to) would be altered and it would differ from the actual
> release (and thus you wouldn't be able to re-create the original
> release with it easily).
>
> Why would you go against the way that everyone else uses SVN?

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.0