I use Cayenne (http://cayenne.apache.org/). The GUI tool eliminates
any requirement to deal with XML and maps all relationships for you.
You can also tweak the XML but its not required or recommended.

My workflow is to build my database directly in SQL and then point
Cayenne at it and get my persistence layer generated automatically
which creates my model and all relationships by following the foreign
key constraints(great for legacy projects).

When I modify my table structure I tell Cayenne to migrate it and it
gives me a list of changes with the option of updating the DB (model
wins) or updating the model (DB wins) for each change. Its fantastic
for all of the tweaking that goes on in a dev cycle (eg: "oops, forget
I needed a table that now has to join to this other table.. No
problem." Click click done).

Insanely great user community and Cayenne has, in my eyes, a very
Wicket like dev philosophy that favors convenience and developer
productivity over other considerations.

Caveat: You can do all of this with Hibernate, I always personally
just found Hibernate a bit more complex and 'get in my way' then I
needed.

Try the quick tutorial they provide and you'll quickly know if its for
you or not.
John-