Peter,

If you already used Hibernate, then you probalbly don't want to deal
with raw JDBC anymore. JPA is the new standard, and even Hibernate is
compatible with it. I use NetBeans + EJB 3.0 including JPA + Wicket
which looks like an easy combination to me. On that level, if your
persistence technology is not performing, then you can replace it with
something else easily, e.g. OpenJPA, EclipseLink.

I get the impression that out of a number of persistence frameworks
some will become legacy over time while JPA becomes mainstream. I have
read comments that due to the emergence of JPA, iBatis support has
shifted efforts away from Java, towards MS .NET.

I would not be distracted by any impression that part of the Wicket
community may be biased against EJB and JPA.

Please refer to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-2416

Regards

Bernard