On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 14:02:56 -0700, Igor Vaynberg wrote:

> i think all the suggestions you have gotten until now are
> overcomplicated and have a high learning curve. i think the easiest and
> fastest way to achieve persistency is to use a database that all
> operating systems already have - the file system.
>
> each "table" is a directory, each "entity" is simply a file that has the
> serialized state of that entity named something like <uuid>.ser.

I suspect this is essentially what the Neodatis object database does
(http://www.neodatis.org/), plus some trimmings such as OIDs and
transactions, and making sure multiple copies of the same object are not
saved. The tricky part is controlling the depth of the reference graphs
that are saved/restored. DB4O has much more control over such things,
such as being able to configure 'activation' depth, and also the option
of instrumentation to activate references as required (transparent
activation) or even persist automatically based on object changes
(transparent persistence). However, be aware that DB4O is GPLed.