> thought CSS styles would be the way to go.

Oh, you should definitely use CSS and web standards based markup. You
should be able to apply the most basic style to it yourself so you can
get the functionality going.  Google "3 column layout" or something
similar for a basic css based layout.

While my Wicket usage is very basic at the stage, one of the
attractive parts is the code and logic is completely separate to the
layout.  So your designers can do all the fine tuning and magic
without screwing up your work.

Cheers,
Dave