Are you designing these value objects from scratch?  Do you have
control over them?  Then, why are you averse to making them
serializable?  If you have a valid reason to not make them
serializable, then why not go with the DTO pattern and just figure out
a way to copy the attributes back and forth between your value objects
and your DTOs?