On Monday 25 January 2010 13:02:05 James Carman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Emond Papegaaij
>
> <emond.papega...@topicus.nl> wrote:
> > I do think this is a good idea, however it will be difficult to
> > implement. WASP/SWARM already provides this setup. WASP defines the
> > interface, where SWARM is the implementation of that interface. I do not
> > know about Shiro, but I don't think it is implemented on top of WASP. So
> > should SWARM be build on top of the abstractions provided by Shiro (does
> > it even have those abstractions?) or should Shiro be build on top of
> > WASP? Either way will require a lot of work.
>
> Shiro shouldn't have to know anything about WASP.  What should happen
> is Wicket-Security (or whatever we're going to call it) would declare
> a "SPI" interface that could be implemented to adapt any security
> framework (spring-security, shiro, etc.) to the Wicket-Security API.
> The security frameworks themselves wouldn't necessarily (most likely
> they would not) implement the interface; there would be an integration
> library (e.g. wicket-security-shiro) that bridges the gap.

That sounds a bit overkill to me. I don't think anyone will ever want to use
SWARM in a non-Wicket application. Naturally, this is a bit different for
Shiro and spring-security, because these are existing projects (if I'm not
mistaken), which can also be used without Wicket.

WASP (Wicket Abstract Security Platform) is what could serve as a basis for
what you call 'the Wicket-Security API'. It will require some work to make it
more generic and less 'SWARM'-like, but I think the concept is quite good.
This can then serve as a basis to build security providers, such as wicket-
security-shiro, wicket-security-spring and SWARM.

Emond Papegaaij