On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Emond Papegaaij
<emond.papega...@topicus.nl> wrote:
> I think a good security framework needs to provide an API that allows, but not
> require, fine-grained control.

Exactly!  That's what I'm looking for.  For the folks who want to get
down-and-dirty and really tighten the screws on their authorization,
they can do that.  But, for me and my somewhat limited authorization
concerns, I'd like to use something simple.

> Most of the complicated stuff is from SWARM, which indeed requires a lot of
> configuration. The difference between WASP and SWARM is not quite clear from
> the documentation, nor is the separation of the two. Some of the naming could
> use some improvement indeed :). The HiveMind manages the Hives used in the VM.
> A Hive contains all principals and permissions of an application and
> ultimately determines if a permission is granted or not. However, the Hive
> (and mind) are part of SWARM and should not be part of a general API.
>
> The main elements of WASP are:
>  - A set of secure components
>  - Several security checks
>  - The ActionFactory, with a set of default actions
>  - The WaspAuthorizationStrategy, which implements IAuthorizationStrategy
>
> With this, WASP only provides an interface to make you Wicket application
> secure. It has no implementation what-so-ever on how to check the security.
> Therefore, I think it is a good starting point for creating a general security
> API for Wicket.

So, what does WASP add to wicket-auth-roles that it doesn't have
already?  Is it generic enough that we should just put it into
wicket-auth-roles (or a new wicket-security module)?  I really don't
like the name WASP.  I think wicket-security is intuitive enough (and
follows the other names already out there wicket-ioc, wicket-spring,
etc.).  I really don't like the fact that when folks ask questions
about wicket-auth-roles, the usual answer is "wicket-auth-roles is
only a demonstration" or something to that effect.  There really
should be a sanctioned/preferred (and pluggable) security framework
for Wicket that we can all get behind.