Doh! Found it - didn't dig deep enough. Thanks! So the string that is required in the constructor is simply ignored if I supply an overridden newHeader - it looks like I should be able to use 'null' there without ill effects. I'm curious though: is there a reason why the constructor wouldn't take an IModel<String> to supply the data for the default implementation which uses a Label as the column header Component?
Thanks,
Doug.

Igor Vaynberg wrote:
all you had to do was look at the source. its not that difficult to do...

new propertytreecolumn(...) {
     public component newhreader(parent, id) {
          label l=super.newheader(parent,id);
          l.setdefaultmodelobject(getstring(l.getdefaultmodelobjectasstring());

-igor