Hi Tom,

What I do, for instance, when exporting files to PDF, Excel, etc, is start
the process on a background thread, block the screen so that users can only
wait or stop the process, and use an AJAX timer to get back to the server
every few seconds to monitor the progress and display it as progress-bar.
This seems to work fine for me but might not be the most efficient
solution... I can give you more details if you want.

Best,

Ernesto