Ok, thanks for the hint, but the operations I make usually only take up to ~1min, so I guess this won't be an issue in my case. But you are right, one has to assure that the polling will stop upon completion of the background task.

   -Tom

On 09.04.2010 at 10:28, Tim L Casey wrote:

You have to watch session expiration.  This type of polling, without end,
will keep sessions alive indefinitely.

I don’t have a cut and paste code, but look at AbstractAjaxTimerBehavior.

tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Götz [mailto:t...@richmountain.de]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 12:44 AM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to give feedback in long-running operation within
AjaxButton.onSubmit()?

Hi Ernesto,

this sounds like a viable solution, I'd be glad if you could provide me
with some more details (e.g. code samples, if available).

     -Tom

Am 09.04.2010 09:39, schrieb Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro:
Hi Tom,

What I do, for instance, when exporting files to PDF, Excel, etc, is start
the process on a background thread, block the screen so that users can
only
wait or stop the process, and use an AJAX timer to get back to the server
every few seconds to monitor the progress and display it as progress-bar.
This seems to work fine for me but might not be the most efficient
solution... I can give you more details if you want.

Best,

Ernesto