Hmm wicket-cool generates project that uses embedded hsql as database and
uses it for test in all modules (domain, service and webapplication) as well
as for jetty:run deployment.

I do not have problems you are speaking of so you might as well just try it.

Here is what I did:

jdbc.properties file looks like this:
------------
# connection
driver=org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
changeLogFile=dbchangelogs/db.changelog.xml
url=jdbc:hsqldb:file:hsqldbs/test.db;shutdown=true
datasource.url=jdbc:hsqldb:file:../hsqldbs/test.db;shutdown=true
username=sa
password=

# hibernate and jpa configuration
hibernate.generate_statistics = true
jpa.showSql                   = true
jpa.database = HSQL
------------

and application context like this:

<bean id="dataSource"

class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource"
          p:driverClassName="${driver}" p:url="${datasource.url}"/>

    <bean id="transactionManager"
class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionManager"
          p:entityManagerFactory-ref="entityManagerFactory"/>

    <bean id="entityManagerFactory"

class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean"
          p:dataSource-ref="dataSource"
          p:jpaVendorAdapter-ref="jpaAdapter">

        <property name="loadTimeWeaver">
            <bean

class="org.springframework.instrument.classloading.InstrumentationLoadTimeWeaver"/>
        </property>
        <property name="persistenceUnitName"
value="wctemplatePU"></property>
    </bean>

    <bean id="jpaAdapter"

class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaVendorAdapter"
          p:database="${jpa.database}" p:showSql="${jpa.showSql}"/>