The JavaDoc for AjaxButton (and AjaxSubmitButton) says:

"A button that submits the form via ajax. Since this button takes the
form as a constructor argument it does not need to be added to it unlike
the Button component."

Well I've just spent a good amount of time putting that theory to the
test. I use the constructor that takes the form as its second parameter.
Basically the form fails with an error saying wicket can't find the
button component unless I explicitly add the AjaxButton object to the
form object, seemingly contradicting the above doco quote. The Wicket
example explicitly adds the button to the form too - which also seems to
go against the above doco declaration.

Maybe it's a rare case where reading the documentation is not a good
idea =}