Hi bro,
 so "I need to change page layout markup file( since markup files will have
my panels defines)"

1. Use Inheritance: What I like about inheritance is you can template and
further sub-template without a single line of Java (except for empty class
files to represent the page ..I have a solution for this also.. read on).
(There is some debate on improving inheritance
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Single-inheritence-in-parts-td2278064.html#a2278064;
but lets skip that)

"layouts change just a little bit on every page, so having 100-200 different
layout files is crazy " -- With good designed templates this should be
avoidable. And if not, panels can be used.

2. "I need to change page layout markup file (since markup files will have
my panels defines)" -- So, you dont need to use PANEL's only. As explained
above I believe inheritance is powerful where there is a lot of common
stuff. The dynamic stuff like news, article, navigation are panels that too
embedded inside the template. So the combination should reduce your
combinatorial explosion!

3. Ah regarding Class files: Well this is something bothering me as well.
I'm looking at CGLIB byte code generation to read the file system for markup
files and auto generate java classes into the ClassLoader. So there is no
need to write dumb classes. ..but this is work in progress. Just sharing the
idea if anyone can beat me to it :)

Please note that Im relatively new to wicket too, but through my initial
frustrating experiences I learnt somethings that i hope will help you. If
not, am sure the more experienced guys here will be providing valuable
input.

-good luck!