I have never used that option when developing with Tomcat and the
m2eclipse plugin. I have my development Tomcat loaded on the same
machine as Eclipse, so the dynamic updates to Tomcat just happen when
I change a class.  You see this down in the Servers tab. It will say
[Started, Synchronized] or [Started, Restart]. If Restart shows, then
I click the restart on the Server tab.

Are you adding the project to the Server?  In the Server tab, right
click your Tomcat server and do and Add and Remove.