You can download the first 4 chapters of EWDWW for free iirc, just as
you can download 3 WiA chapters (2 from the book, one as an extra).
Read those and see which writing style is more to your liking.

As far as Wicket in Action is concerned: we tried to be as practical
as possible, and go in depth when necessary to explain the underlying
ideas. I think we got the balance right: enough code examples to try
out and see how things should be, but no listings that span for pages
without any explanation. Despite having to read WiA a couple of
hundred times while writing it, I still think it is a book I would
love to read if I wasn't one of the authors.

As for 'missing' versioning in the ToC: we had to make choices in what
to discuss. Versioning is such a deep technical detail which both
Eelco and myself haven't had much to work with directly, that we
didn't want to include it. It would open up a can of worms and it
would be obsolete with Wicket 1.5 (which doesn't do versioning in the
same way). I see versioning in Wicket to be an implementation detail
not worth too much attention—until you run into a problem, and then
the user@ list is a much better resource than a book.

Martijn