I tried changing that list to

   public void refresh( List list ) {
        list.clear( );
        this.list.addAll( abcManager.getAllGaps( ) );
    }

but that didn't seem to make a difference - but I could see how that would
update the wrong list if it was being called.

I can't help but think I have to do something with the DefaultDataTable
columns (even though I am not sure the provider is even being called) as I
am only doing this:

DefaultDataTable table = new DefaultDataTable("abctable", getColumns(),
abcProvider , 10);
private List>  getColumns() {
        List Abc>>  result = new  ArrayList<IColumn<Abc>>();
        result.add( new PropertyColumn(new Model("Abc Description"),
"AbcDescription", "AbcDescription" ));
         result.add( new DatePropertyColumn(new Model("Abc Date"), AbcDate",
"AbcDate" ));

Does the DefaultDataTable  know how to populate each cell with the next
value in the Abc object its being populated?