Maybe I missed one interesting detail.

While searching the web for some examples/explanaitions for my problem I
found a few threads where the author of the thread had to explain why he
uses multiple xxxApplication files. For some reasons a lot of users are of
the opinion that you should only use one xxxApplication file for your war.

In my case I use for each (navigation)link on my page a separat servlet
mapping within the web.xml.
So if a user call's a link which should appear on page A there is a separat
mapping for /a/*, the same for page B and so on.

Is this in general a bad approach?
Could this explain my problems with authentication?