On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Maarten Billemont <lhun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Without knowing what RAD or Scaffolding is about, the examples on your site
> really make very little sense to me.

The scaffolding term is borrowed from the Rails/Grails folks.
Basically, it automatically generates a view that will show you a list
of beans, allow you to view, create, edit, and delete them all
individually.

> You show a method, getDescription, with a bunch of annotations on them.  You
> don't show what this method is a part of, or how that actually ties in with
> your actual wicket code underneath.

I'm still working on the documentation.  I want to provide a more
tutorial-ish version soon.

> The wicket Java code example shows a wicketopia Scaffold component that takes
> a wicketopia Widget class and a Spring persistence provider.  How could this
> possibly be useful to me?  What does it do?  How does it tie in with my
> insanely annotated getDescription method?

PersistenceProvider is an interface and the implementation class
doesn't depend on Spring at all.  It's a pure hibernate DAO,
essentially.  The example application is pieced together with Spring,
since that's what I'm familiar with and it allows me to put something
together with little effort by copy/pasting stuff from other projects
that I know work.

> Also, does wicketopia depend on Spring?  That would be a really *really* big
> downside.  I don't need any frontend library telling me what persistence
> framework to use, and Spring is about much more than just persistence.
> Abstract that stuff.

Again, no.  Take a look at the pom.xml files:

https://wicketopia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicketopia/trunk/pom.xml
https://wicketopia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicketopia/trunk/persistence/pom.xml
https://wicketopia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicketopia/trunk/hibernate/pom.xml
https://wicketopia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicketopia/trunk/jpa/pom.xml

There are modules that depend on Spring (spring-security and
domdrides), but you don't have to use them.

> Perhaps when I can understand what Wicketopia is without having to UTSL, I'll
> consider giving it a try.  Assuming I don't also need to suffocate my code
> under the weight of Spring.

We get it, you don't like Spring. :)