FYI. I added the index.htm file to my project and everything now
works. This is very strange and if anyone has an insight why this
helped I would be very glad to read about it.

Since I didn't try switching to servlet I'm not sure if that would
have helped as well.

Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Dave