Hi,

The problem is that there are several specifications and all of them
expect different output.
We try to stick to HTML5 because this is the future.

See below.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Pierre Goiffon <pgoiffon.wic...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working as a developper for a software company that build some products
> using Wicket 1.4 (1.4.17 for the moment being).
>
> I'm trying to improve accessibility in our online survey product. The first
> thing I did was to check our pages with the W3C validator
> (http://validator.w3.org), as it's the first step to go on.
>
> The web pages are sent with an html strict doctype with url : indeed we have
> no interest in using XHTML as those pages will be sent over the web so to
> any king of user agents, and don't want to deal with all the things you have
> to care about when sending XHTML in text/html to older browser (like the
> recommandation C appendix).
>
> I noticed some problems that are caused by Wicket, mainly because it works
> in the xml way. As I can't see any mean to override those behaviors I'm
> asking here for any idea :) I looked at the 1.4.19 sources but can't see
> improvements on these subjects.
>
> Here are the different problems I saw :
>
> - When using ResourceReference the link tags are closed in the xhtml way :
> <link ... />. Should be <link ...> in HTML.
> It seems to be hard coded in HeaderResponse#renderCSSReference()

You can use
org.apache.wicket.Application.setHeaderResponseDecorator(IHeaderResponseDecorator)
to setup custom HeaderResponse and modify this.

> - In Form components Wicket adds hidden inputs. They are also closed in the
> xhtml way. Seems to be hard coded in Form#onComponentTagBody() and
> Form#appendDefaultButtonField().

none of these is final. you can override them

> - DataTable : a SPAN is always added in the TD and TH. For lots of reasons
> we need to insert DIV (block level) elements in the cells of a custom
> DataTable based component, and so the html hierarchy looks like :
> TH > SPAN > DIV > ...
> TD > SPAN > DIV > ...
> It's not valid to have a block level element inside an inline one.
> I can't see how to change those span to div (DataTable.html and
> HeadersToolbar.html).If it's not possible to get rid of that extra html
> container in that wicket component, would it be at least ok to change it to
> a div element ?

Override DataTable component and provide your own MyDataTable.html.
The .java code will just call super constructors.

> - DataTable : the TFOOT node is always sent to the client, even if it's
> empty. In that last case, the html code is invalid in html.

I think this is improved in 1.5.x

> Thanks for your answers !

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend