I have narrowed down the problem to Google Chrome (both 15.x and 17.x-dev
version) now. In both Firefox and IE 9 the download is working and the ajax
links keep working after the download finished.

I have created a quickstart application that demonstrates the thing. Are
you still interested in that to see if it's a Chrome or a Wicket issue? If
so, where should I put it?

Thanks