Please correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like 1.5 and 1.6 wicket will
continue to use behaviors to work with ajax events driven by user events or
timers.   In the real world a lot of my ajax needs occur when i need to push
back page state changes and don't want to write 100 lines of code with
custom javascript just to do something that could be provided by the API.
Hopefully I'm just ignorant of the existing elegant solution.

onClick(AjaxRequestTarget target){
  //disable some controls

  doWorkThatTakesSomeTime();

  // update some label with current status

  doSomeMoreWork();

  // append results to an unordered list
  // update labels with final results and enable controls