Just to mention that I'm personally more than happy with Atmosphere.
There's a little work coming in order to support lots of Comet channels (it
will be contributed back when it's done) but for a simple use with two or
three channels it works like a charm. Plus there's a working Wicket example
available in the official distro. And it's unit testable. Or at least, it
doesn't prevent you to unit-test the regular Wicket code, not like
wicket-push for instance, that I gave up because it prevented me to unit
test my regular (non-Comet) code.

You won't have a perfect for all, no JavaScript solution but it's pretty
well integrated with our favorite framework and it handles very well the
different clients and servers solutions. Plus the support of WebSocket is
coming and I know from the author that the Atmosphere guy and the Tomcat
guys are working together for a forth-coming WebSocket support in this nice
servlet engine.

Regards,

Pierre