François,

Thanks for your response.

Playing around with messaging has been on my wishlist for a while now.
I really like the features of JBoss HornetQ, in the context of my question especially the "no dependencies, can be embedded through guice, handles persistence itself without external db and ... in-vm transport".

I didn't know about this project, so thanks for pointing it out.

Sebastian