> For instance, we
> had plenty of AJAX links that were rarely used (5 per row or so).
> We decided to make them load on demand only ("click for admin actions").

Yeah, we did this too.

> some of the things we did was (as mentioned by others) to generate HTML,
> this saved a lot of memory. But Also, some optimisations like replacing
> setVisible(false) by an empty component saved us some space.

Ok... this might be something to look at, because in our matrix most
of it is "empty" really, so there must be lots of invisible items.

> I wrote a blogpost over here:
> http://www.small-improvements.com/blog/technical/tuning-wicket-session-size

Great post, thanks!

> Well, if you really only have one page in your session, and that page's
> serialisation is killing you, then you're right. But if you have multiple
> page versions, and other pages in your session, and your session is maybe
> even 50mb, then the zipping might help: not for this particular page, but
> for all the *others* that also have to get read and restored.

We have already disabled versioning and page history ;) No back button
support... who really needs that ;)

> Also, have you considered trying other serialisers? I'm not an expert on
> that topic, but I overheard other developers that there are faster
> libraries. They have tradeoffs, but maybe one of them works for you.

I worry about maintenance overhead and possible bugs, the code is
alreay quite complex to add some "unknown variables" is not possible
at the moment.

**
Martin