Hi,

I am currently evaluating my options for (semi) pro-active messages to the
user. The first
idea was to use an AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior to poll for new messages for
the user. Since
this might put quite some unnecessary load on the server, I was thinking about
using the
current request to piggyback the messages. The idea is quite simple:

1. I have a component in thebase page that shows the messages (if present) to
the user

2. An update of this component is added to every Ajax-request the user makes.

Now comes the tricky bit: what is the best approach to implementing this? I was
thinking
about adding the code for updating the component into the RequestCycleListener.
That leads
to the fist question on how to access the current Ajax request target there. I
found the API
call to check whether a request is an Ajax request, but no way to get the
AjaxRequestTarget...

The second question is, how to access the component. I could either place a
reference to it in
the WebSession (is that a good idea?) or I would need way to access the current
page to get it
from there. How could I do that within the RequestCycleListener?

The third and final question is, whether all that stuff does make any sense at
all - perhaps there
are even better ways to do what I want...

Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers,

J.