Reserve a hidden part of your pages to render the messages, and create
some javascript kung fu to read those messages and display them in
some way. Create an onEvent() handler that adds the messages container
to the ajax request target, and calls your javascript kung fu master.
See the wiki for the event bus mechanism of 1.5 for more information

Martijn