Thanks Martin, that helps. Forgive my naivety, but why do I have the option
of adding CSS via the Java code? Surely it's better to follow convention and
add it into the appropriate .war directory?

...and if I could do the Columbo, "Just one more thing", thing. Why am I
getting two <head> tags in my app?  There's a <title> tag in a base page
which is linked to a Label component in the code, which when rendered in the
second <head> tag predictably throws an exception.  The full question is on
the link below in Stack Overflow. This code worked in Wicket 1.4 but not
after porting to 1.5:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11243714/wicket-head-tag-rendered-twice-for-pages-extending-a-base-page
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11243714/wicket-head-tag-rendered-twice-for-pages-extending-a-base-page