thanks Ernesto .. so using that javascript trick I now have my
IndicatingAjaxLink downloading via the URL of my shared resource .. which is
neater I think .. and so now I don't have to bother with AJAXDownload
either.

But I still have two issues:

1. the PDF opens in-place in the browser frame ... how do I get the file
save-as dialog to pop-up?

2. The reason I'm using an ajax link is that I wanted to use the
jquery.blockUI functionality during the download. So I copied the
BlockUIDecorator code from Igor's wicket cookbook and added that to the
link. But what I see is the blockUI come up for a second, then it unblocks..
meanwhile the download continues (they are large PDF's) .. and eventually it
shows up in-place....

So if I can figure out these two things, i'll be there...