Hmm, this is what strikes me odd about your approach in your link's
onSubmit():

// I get it, you're creating your own stream writer
                AbstractResourceStreamWriter rstream = new
AbstractResourceStreamWriter() {
                    public void write(Response output) {
                        output.write(MyPDFSharedResource.getPDFBytes());
                    }
                };
// and your resource handler
                ResourceStreamRequestHandler handler = new
ResourceStreamRequestHandler(rstream, MyPDFSharedResource.getFileName());

handler.setContentDisposition(ContentDisposition.ATTACHMENT);
// and you schedule it

getRequestCycle().scheduleRequestHandlerAfterCurrent(handler);
// But what are you doing now?
                String url = MyPDFSharedResource.getUrl();

target.appendJavaScript("setTimeout(\"window.location.href='" + url + "'\",
100);");
            }

Why are you using Ajax here to redirect the browser and why not just simply
respond to the client directly with your PDF resource?

Why not just simply implement
http://wicket.apache.org/apidocs/1.5/org/apache/wicket/request/Response.html
and then grab a hold of the
http://wicket.apache.org/apidocs/1.5/org/apache/wicket/request/cycle/RequestCycle.html
and call its setResponse(Response response)?

I forgot how I did this, but I'm sure I must have used an implementation of
a Reponse and then responded the the onClick() via
RequestCycle.setResponse(new MyRespone()). I query the database, parse some
data into CSV and Exel files and then server them to the client browser. I
also do this when I package a windows installer and server the MSI as a byte
array in MyResponse.

If you want a code snippet example let me know...

-----
~ Thank you,
    p...@bors.ws