I am looking into stateless wicket. Do the setStatelessHint() work as
expected? My links are generated correctly, but when the page is rendered a
?#number is rendered - the #number being the "normal wicket counter". I
read that the presence of this number indicates my page is not stateless.

And it is true that any use of Ajax will make a page stateful.

On a more general note, I am looking into creating a stateless application,
mainly because of scaling. Do you think Wicket will fit, even though I will
be using Ajax? I really think the separation of HTML and code, the approach
with components and the use of wicket:id is the best, and I have not found
it anywhere else. Basically I like Wicket, but do not need the statefulness.