This is how it is, actually.

In Wicket Git repo there is a branch 'reference-guide' that has a Maven
module 'wicket-reference-guide'.
The branch will be merged to master once we feel confident that
documentation generation works and we like the way it works.
So Wicket 6 will have its own version of the documentation. Wicket 7 will
have its own version too. Just like the code is managed.

The current site uses Jekyll - there is some Ruby code that I personally
don't know how works.
The reference guide uses Sphinx - a Python based. I use custom module
borrowed from Akka project to load code snippets from other files for the
code samples. My Python skills are not good but as far as I see there is no
need to code in Python more than this.

Someone may be against using so many different technologies.
Soon I'll propose a vote about all this.